New Year's Resolution - Fail Better!

2020 text
@evieshaffer
I've never been a fan of New Year's resolutions, because by early February I'm usually more disappointed in my own lack of self discipline than anything else. Old habits die hard. But I can't deny the fresh feeling a new year brings and the desire to self-reflect and do a few things better. As our family thought about what we will do better this year, I returned to a book I read this fall called The Gift of Failure by Jessica Lahey. In it Lahey guides parents to shift their perspective on failure and allow their kids the gift of making mistakes and growing from those experiences. Really, it's good advice for all of us! To read more about Lahey's ideas, you can follow the link to an article I wrote this month for Bay State Parent. The good news? We don't have to add this resolution to our ever-growing to do list. Instead, the gift of failure frees us to shift our mindset from doing everything right to being willing to take risks and bounce back when those risks don't pan out. Cheers to a new decade, to trying new things, and to failing often and well!

"Allowing Kids the Freedom to Fail"

Comments

Popular Posts